Microchip forum

Say "hi" here, and any general non PIC related chat.

Microchip forum

Postby jtemples » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:28 pm

I just tried to edit my profile to add a link to this forum, but I was informed that I don't have permission to view my own profile... What a hopeless mess.
jtemples
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Microchip forum

Postby ric » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:05 am

I noticed that ages ago, and forgot.
i.e. I cannot view your profile either. Browsing to http://www.microchip.com/forums/Profile/22395/
just gives me:
Code: Select all
Access Denied
You don't have permission to access "http://www.microchip.com/forums/Profile/22395/" on this server.
Reference #18.c74cd17.1403823755.2df8595

There must be something in your profile triggering the awesome Microchip Firewall. [bang head against wall emoticon]
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby jtemples » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:37 am

That's the same error I get. If I go to the User Control Panel...Additional Options, there's a checkbox labeled "Hide profile from the public" which is not checked and is greyed out. I guess I'm in Profile Limbo.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby ric » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:57 am

I would guess that option prevents guests from viewing your profile.
It shouldn't stop logged in users from seeing it.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby jtemples » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:13 am

I did manage to edit my signature anyway, but I don't see it on existing posts. I guess it only takes effect on future posts.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby dbhughe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:43 am

There may be a few start up problems with this forum but I for one am looking forward to a new place to ask and answer questions about microchip products. I dislike how the official forum has become. I dislike how microchip barely supports their products (have you read the help file for MPLAB X lately, it is still written mainly for MPLAB 8.xx or have you tried using the pickit3 hex file programmer on a 24EP part).

IMHO, A forum is a place to distribute knowledge and make it easier to solve a problem, not a place of arrogance where RTFM is the reply of the day. By all means, if you know the answer, please explain it or, point me to it and If I know an answer I will try to explain it as best I can.

This is an opportunity to really shine.

So much for my rant, thanks for the new forum.
dbhughe

Postby ric » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 am

jtemples wrote:I did manage to edit my signature anyway, but I don't see it on existing posts. I guess it only takes effect on future posts.

Nope. Every post you have ever made should show your current signature.
Here's one I made eight years ago with my current sig :)
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m198299.aspx
ric
Verified identity

Postby Tom Maier » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:34 pm

dbhughe wrote:IMHO, A forum is a place to distribute knowledge and make it easier to solve a problem, not a place of arrogance where RTFM is the reply of the day. By all means, if you know the answer, please explain it or, point me to it and If I know an answer I will try to explain it as best I can.

Normally the best way to answer is to show the person where the knowledge came from. It's like somebody asking for a drink of water... it is wise to show them where the water comes from or they will always be helpless by asking.

"RTFM" is often a frustrated response by somebody who has many years of experience and to THEM it seems pretty obvious. They can't remember being a newbie (or are under the belief they were born with the knowledge). On the other hand, there are occasionally people who do know where the knowledge is, but are just trying to get others to work for them. When a person says they want to program a device, then they should at least make the effort to download the datasheet and attempt to read the first page, just to make things look good.

When I had trouble teaching a student, I would tell them that aquiring knowledge was like pushing a box across the floor. It works best when both the teacher and the student push from the same side. Sometimes the student likes to sit on top of the box and let the teacher try to push, or sometimes the student will get on the other side and push the wrong way. There comes a time when you have to give up and let the student fail, if that is their goal. They need to indentify their goal and methods for it to succeed.

Pointing somebody to the right chapter or data table is the best reply.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby vloki » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:42 pm

Tom Maier wrote:Normally the best way to answer is to show the person where the knowledge came from.

!!!
vloki
Verified identity

Postby floatingpoint » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:54 am

vloki wrote:
Tom Maier wrote:Normally the best way to answer is to show the person where the knowledge came from.

!!!

Morning everone!

I appear to have lost any ability to post on the Microchip forum.
Whether this is for technical reasons or for some other reason I know not.

Look forward to friendly encounters on your new site.

PS. What chance MPLAB8 will be resurrected?
I tried MPLABX 1.2 a while ago and then decided that it won't be until MPLABX 3.x before it is worth trying again.

FP
floatingpoint

Next

Return to Introductions and general chat