PIC delivery dilemma

This conference allows discussion on any subject not already covered in another PICmicro conference. If a topic becomes popular enough, a new conference will be created for it.

PIC delivery dilemma

Postby GettinBetter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm

Peeps,
So today I have received a couple of dsPIC33CH128MP508 plug in modules(PIM)....but I was expecting a couple of PIC24FJ256GB110 PIMs, Now, either they sent them in error, or I ordered them in error (I'll find out tomorrow).

My dilemma is:
Should I send them back (at this time of year) or download the data sheet and just use them. They fit my Explorer 16/32 board.

In the meantime I'll be digging into the data sheet for comparisons, but would be interested in your views/comments.

Regards
Les
History teaches us that history doesn't teach us.
GettinBetter

Re: PIC delivery dilemma

Postby AussieSusan » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:03 am

It all depends what you are trying to do with the PIC24FJ256GB110. If the dsPIC33CH128MP508 will do the job then just stick with what you have.
On the other hand, the CH family of devices can be a bit different, and also the dsPIC33 will obviously have the additional DSP hardware. This might give you more room for growth for future testing.
Regardless, check the way the PIMs match up the pins of the MCU with the pins on the board. Some PIMs do some remapping so that the MCU matches what is expected by the Explorer board and this can lead to a bit of confusion if you are not careful.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Re: PIC delivery dilemma

Postby GettinBetter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:47 am

AussieSusan wrote:....Regardless, check the way the PIMs match up the pins of the MCU with the pins on the board. Some PIMs do some remapping so that the MCU matches what is expected by the Explorer board and this can lead to a bit of confusion if you are not careful.
Susan

You were spot on with this... I now need to confirm device to PIM board mapping, then PIM to Explorer pin mapping. I know there is the option to remap some pins from the device, but that's all part of the familiarisation process... thanks for the heads up :thumbsup:
History teaches us that history doesn't teach us.
GettinBetter

Return to Other PICmicro topics