That dang "firmware" subdirectory!

That dang "firmware" subdirectory!

Postby twelve12pm » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:31 pm

When creating a MPLABX PIC32 Harmony project, it creates a directory called "firmware" and then puts the project ".X" directory under that.

That drives me up the wall!

We have a whole hierarchy of projects (many of them using non-Microchip chips) and each project has a consistent layout. Only PIC32 projects have this "firmware" directory.

Why does it drive me up the wall?

It's not consistent with how we organize our stuff.

All it serves to do is make lengthy pathnames with lots of nested subdirectories even longer than they need to be.

Now I remember this being discussed on Microchip's forum (which seems to be acting up more than usual today, which is why I'm posting here) but I seem to recall that if you try to remove that "firmware" directory, all hell breaks loose.

Is that still the case?

Should I be brave and try it?
twelve12pm

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: That dang "firmware" subdirectory!

Postby ric » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:05 am

I'm still avoiding MPLABX, but isn't there a check box when you create a project to put the files in the "project directory" ?
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby KTrenholm » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:16 pm

I don't think you need the .X directory, I think it will read in a project as long as the "nbproject" folder is present in the directory.
KTrenholm

Postby twelve12pm » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:54 pm

I don't really mind the .X directory as I consider that to be an opaque "black box" that contains everything the MPLABX project needs -- but it bothers me that it puts the .X directory INSIDE an unnecessary "firmware" directory -- firmware/Project.X/nbproject. Why three nested subdirectories? In the past I tried to get rid of the firmware directory and that caused Harmony and/or MHC and/or MPLABX (I don't remember which combination of the above) to flip its lid. I'll try telling it to put the files in the "project directory" and see what that does.
twelve12pm

Return to PIC32 topics