PIC18F27k42 CLKOUT NOT WORKING

PIC18F27k42 CLKOUT NOT WORKING

Postby SBI » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Hello all, this is my first post here.

I have designed and built a board that includes a PIC18LF27K42 MCU.

I am using the Microchip MPLAB X IDE v 4.15.

I want the MCU to run on one of its internal oscillators and am trying to get it to run specifically at 7.75KHz (31KHz / 4). I wrote a routine that simply toggles a couple of bits on PORT A just to make sure that the MPU is alive. It is.

I can tell that the MCU is running pretty slowly because the bits are toggling very slowly. However, I need to know what the system clock speed actually is. My problem is that I cannot get the CLKOUT signal to appear on the RA6 bit (pin 7 on my 28-pin QFN).

According to the part's data sheet on page 67:

Register 5-2: Configuration Word 1H (300001h)
“bit 0 /CLKOUTEN: Clock Out Enable bit
If FEXTOSC<2:0> = EC (high, mid or low) or Not Enabled:
1 = CLKOUT function is disabled; I/O or oscillator function on OSC2
0 = CLKOUT function is enabled; Fosc/4 clock appears at OSC2
Otherwise:
This bit is ignored.”

I have of course set the /CLKOUTEN bit to ZERO and I set FEXTOSC<2:0> to "NOT ENABLED".

So my question is: Can the CLKOUT bit be enabled when using the 32KHz internal oscillator? According to what I quoted above the answer would seem to be YES. So if that is indeed the case, what am I missing?

I have pasted my configuration file and my test main() file below. I will appreciate any help I can get.
Thanks,
Ray Russell
Houston, TX

Code: Select all
**************************** configuration data ******************************
// PIC18LF27K42 Configuration Bit Settings

// 'C' source line config statements

// CONFIG1L
#pragma config FEXTOSC = OFF    // External Oscillator Selection (Oscillator not enabled)
#pragma config RSTOSC = HFINTOSC_1MHZ// Reset Oscillator Selection (HFINTOSC with HFFRQ = 4 MHz and CDIV = 4:1)

// CONFIG1H
#pragma config CLKOUTEN = ON    // Clock out Enable bit (CLKOUT function is enabled)
#pragma config PR1WAY = OFF     // PRLOCKED One-Way Set Enable bit (PRLOCK bit can be set and cleared repeatedly)
#pragma config CSWEN = ON       // Clock Switch Enable bit (Writing to NOSC and NDIV is allowed)
#pragma config FCMEN = OFF      // Fail-Safe Clock Monitor Enable bit (Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled)

// CONFIG2L
#pragma config MCLRE = EXTMCLR  // MCLR Enable bit (If LVP = 0, MCLR pin is MCLR; If LVP = 1, RE3 pin function is MCLR )
#pragma config PWRTS = PWRT_OFF // Power-up timer selection bits (PWRT is disabled)
#pragma config MVECEN = ON      // Multi-vector enable bit (Multi-vector enabled, Vector table used for interrupts)
#pragma config IVT1WAY = OFF    // IVTLOCK bit One-way set enable bit (IVTLOCK bit can be cleared and set repeatedly)
#pragma config LPBOREN = OFF    // Low Power BOR Enable bit (ULPBOR disabled)
#pragma config BOREN = OFF      // Brown-out Reset Enable bits (Brown-out Reset disabled)

// CONFIG2H
#pragma config BORV = VBOR_2P85 // Brown-out Reset Voltage Selection bits (Brown-out Reset Voltage (VBOR) set to 2.8V)
#pragma config ZCD = OFF        // ZCD Disable bit (ZCD disabled. ZCD can be enabled by setting the ZCDSEN bit of ZCDCON)
#pragma config PPS1WAY = OFF    // PPSLOCK bit One-Way Set Enable bit (PPSLOCK bit can be set and cleared repeatedly (subject to the unlock sequence))
#pragma config STVREN = ON      // Stack Full/Underflow Reset Enable bit (Stack full/underflow will cause Reset)
#pragma config DEBUG = ON       // Debugger Enable bit (Background debugger enabled)
#pragma config XINST = ON       // Extended Instruction Set Enable bit (Extended Instruction Set and Indexed Addressing Mode enabled)

// CONFIG3L
#pragma config WDTCPS = WDTCPS_0// WDT Period selection bits (Divider ratio 1:32)
#pragma config WDTE = OFF       // WDT operating mode (WDT Disabled; SWDTEN is ignored)

// CONFIG3H
#pragma config WDTCWS = WDTCWS_3// WDT Window Select bits (window delay = 50 percent of time; no software control; keyed access required)
#pragma config WDTCCS = LFINTOSC// WDT input clock selector (WDT reference clock is the 31.0 kHz LFINTOSC)

// CONFIG4L
#pragma config BBSIZE = BBSIZE_8192// Boot Block Size selection bits (Boot Block size is 8192 words)
#pragma config BBEN = ON        // Boot Block enable bit (Boot block enabled)
#pragma config SAFEN = ON       // Storage Area Flash enable bit (SAF enabled)
#pragma config WRTAPP = OFF     // Application Block write protection bit (Application Block not write protected)

// CONFIG4H
#pragma config WRTB = OFF       // Configuration Register Write Protection bit (Configuration registers (300000-30000Bh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRTC = OFF       // Boot Block Write Protection bit (Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected)
#pragma config WRTD = OFF       // Data EEPROM Write Protection bit (Data EEPROM not write-protected)
#pragma config WRTSAF = OFF     // SAF Write protection bit (SAF not Write Protected)
#pragma config LVP = ON         // Low Voltage Programming Enable bit (Low voltage programming enabled. MCLR/VPP pin function is MCLR. MCLRE configuration bit is ignored)

// CONFIG5L
#pragma config CP = OFF         // PFM and Data EEPROM Code Protection bit (PFM and Data EEPROM code protection disabled)

// CONFIG5H

// #pragma config statements should precede project file includes.
// Use project enums instead of #define for ON and OFF.

#include <xc.h>
******************************* End of configuration header file *****************************
****************************** main() file **********************************
OSCCON1  = 0xd7;   // 0xd2 = NEW OSC TYPE & DIV RATIO: LFINTOSC &  DIVIDE BY 4

OSCCON3 = 0x80; // NOT RELEVANT

OSCFRQ = 0xf0; // 0xf0 = 1MHZ WHICH IS THE LOWEST POSSIBLE HFINTOSC (ONLY) FREQUENCY

OSCTUNE = 0xc0; // 0xc0 = TUNED TO HFINTOSC (ONLY) CENTER FREQUENCY

OSCEN = 0x10; // 0x10 = LFINTOSC (ONLY) EXPLICTLY ENABLED

//*************************************************
// REFERENCE CLOCK PARAMETERS
CLKRCON = 0x97; // 0x97 = rclk enabled, 50% duty cycle, div by 128

CLKRCLK = 0xf2;  // 0xf1 = HFINTOSC; 0xf2 = LFINTOSC; 0xf3 = MFINTOSC
//******************************************************************

// Note: port directions : 1=input, 0=output
TRISA = 0x82; /* this sets the port A pins to outputs except for bit 7 (clkin) and bit 1 (SDI) */

TRISB = 0x00; /* this sets the port B pins to outputs */

TRISC = 0x00; /* this sets the port C pins to outputs */

LATA = 0; /* this writes zeros into all of the port A latches */
LATB = 0; /* this writes zeros into all of the port B latches */
LATC = 0; /* this writes zeros into all of the port C latches */

RC0PPS = 0x27; /* hopefully map clkrout to port C(7), which should be MCU pin 8 */

/******************** beginning of bit toggle code **********************/
    while(1)
    {
            PORTA = 0b000110000;  // Set RA4 and RA5
            for(i=0; i<167; i++);
            PORTA = 0b00000000;    // Clear RA4 and RA5
            for(i=0; i<167; i++);
    }
}
Last edited by ric on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Placed "code" tags around the code.
SBI

Re: PIC18F27k42 CLKOUT NOT WORKING

Postby SBI » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Update: I think I have the answer. In looking at figure 7-1 of the data sheet it shows that CLKOUT may simply be a "wrap-around" of the CLKIN signal like XOs use. It does not seem to be anything special. However, the good news is that I was able to get the CLKR signal running at the frequency I want. I am going to try and route it over to the CLKIN pin and see if I can use it as an improvised EXTOSC.
SBI

Postby AussieSusan » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:27 am

Not your problem bu NEVER set the 'DEBUG' option. The IDE will do that for you and you can get into all sorts of problems if you try to set this yourself and it ends up being wrong.
Is that your real code? There is no 'main' function and I'm surprised it ever compiles.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Postby brownie17 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:38 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am also interested in this question.
brownie17

Postby AussieSusan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:15 am

@brownie17 - then you probably won't get more information than you already have if you don't tell us a lot more about your problem, the context in which it occurs, that you have tried to do, what works, what doesn't and so on.
As this thread is 2 years old, you probably will do better to start your own thread.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Return to Oscillator