Greetings

This forum handles questions and discussions concerning Microchip’s 8-bit compilers, assemblers, linkers and related tools.

Re: Greetings

Postby K9ACT » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:25 am

Your fix was added as an attempt to cure the problem.

The hex file looked exactly the same before I put it in.

js
K9ACT

Postby Ian.M » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:43 am

I doubt it was exactly the same as the addressing would have changed slightly, but it would have been very similar.
However my point is that given that hex file, the memory views you posted show the hex file loaded correctly. You state it also works in the actual PIC. I see no problem.

If you want to see what is really going on, look in the .lst file, not at the hex file or the Pickit 2 progam memory window. In fact, I usually keep all the PICkit 2 memory views disabled as they are of little use unless you are hacking on a PIC you don't have sourcecode for or doing something esoteric like data-logging to EEPROM with no readback routine.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby K9ACT » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:07 pm

Ian.M wrote:I doubt it was exactly the same as the addressing would have changed slightly, but it would have been very similar.

I am guilty of the sin I so frequently condemn in others. I had no right to the word "exactly".

I didn't even check to see if they were exactly the same. I was referring to the location of the code in the display window and not to the actual code.

Having said all that, the real problem is/was that only part of the code was displayed.

Unfortunately, I can not prove this now but I could have sworn that only two lines of code appeared at the bottom. This is not true in the screen shot I posted so I sinned twice. Possibly had something to do with your fix?

>However my point is that given that hex file, the memory views you posted show the hex file loaded correctly. You state it also works in the actual PIC. I see no problem.

Agree, with the minor problem of having to scroll down to see the code.

I have the habit of noting the first few words of the hex so I can recognize immediately when something is not right which happens a lot with me.

js
K9ACT

Postby Ian.M » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:52 pm

Well with a memory view that shows eight words per line, two lines could be anywhere between 8 and 16 instructions. If the program was short and simple enough (no delays or variables), that is actually possible.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Previous

Return to MPLAB XC8