OT: How to use GreaseMonkey to customize webpages?

OT: How to use GreaseMonkey to customize webpages?

Postby BobAGI » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:22 pm

Hi,
last year when the problems were rampant on the Microchip forum I learned how to customize the forum webpages in order to make the Firefox tabs useful.
The idea was to use GreaseMonkey to block the extra fluff at the start of the titles and get the subject at the start, thus ensuring the tabs did not all show the same text.
This has worked fine for me on other forums as well.

I don't anymore remember who gave the advice, but I would like to connect again for some forum unrelated tips (hence the OT marker)....

I have a problem with a news website I frequently read in that links from the first page nowadays often go to pages with the text I want to read but which also contain videos which are set to start playing immediately.
The result is that instead of showing the text I want to read the browser is busy downloading this sizable video file for display. :(
And worse, the video is not possible to stop until it is fully downloaded and starts playing! Not good when you are on a mobile broadband account with limited data per month.....
Not to speak of the other family members who are sleeping when I read the news and awake by the video noise!

So I was wondering if GreaseMonkey could be used to simply block the browser from handling videos on these pages?
If so how?
TIA
--
Bo B
Sweden & Texas
BobAGI
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: OT: How to use GreaseMonkey to customize webpages?

Postby ric » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:45 pm

I think it was Ian.M who did most of the GreaseMonkey work.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby Ian.M » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:31 am

Greasemonkey wont work for this because there are so many different video hosting sites and ways of inserting them in a third party page. you'd end up with a massive unmaintainable script slowing your browsing down on every page.

I would suggest FlashBlock: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/flashblock/

It stops all Flash objects from loading unless you explicitly click to start them. You can whitelist any site you need that it causes problems with.

If you still have problems with videos playing automatically on particular sites, you can block them from loading unwanted types of content with Adblock Plus, but you will have to do a bit of digging to find the URL of the content to block then write a rule to match anything similar.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby jtemples » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:54 am

It stops all Flash objects from loading unless you explicitly click to start them. You can whitelist any site you need that it causes problems with.

That's built in to Firefox. Just go to Plugins and select "Ask to Activate" for Flash.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby Ian.M » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:09 am

I don't keep track of current Firefox features as I am actually a K-Meleon user. However is that 'Ask to Activate' setting configurable on a per-site basis?
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby jtemples » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:52 am

When a site has Flash, Firefox prompts "Allow now, or always allow?" The "always allow" permission is stored per-site.

This feature is available for all plugins, not just Flash.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby Nick Husky » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:00 pm

I really like Greasemonkey as an add-on. However, sometimes my browser lags when I use this adds. Since I have a website, I noticed that my website loads pretty slow. I tried to change my domain, however, it turns out that the problem was in add-on, but I don't want to remove it! In order to save Greasemonkey, I've decided to find a hosting that would load my website quite better than it is. Since states have a lot of hostings but not the ones that work fast, I decided to ask for advice from my IT friend. He said that (spammy link deleted from here by Ric) agency has a nice list with the best hostings. I decided to try. I picked a hosting SiteGround, since it was with discount and actually can provide pretty quick loading time. Btw, from that time, I'm still using this hosting...
Last edited by Nick Husky on Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick Husky
Banned

Postby jtemples » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:28 am

Nick Husky wrote:Bumping this thread!

Why?
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby ric » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 am

Now we see why.
He came back and edited the post with spammy content, as I expected. He won't be posting any more...
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Return to Suggestions