Another New Guy

Say "hi" here, and any general non PIC related chat.

Another New Guy

Postby t1d » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:35 pm

Hi, Ric,

I imagine that I am like many... Fleeing the OEM site, because of continuous, long-term site issues. So, I am very pleased that you have made a home for us. Thank you for your efforts to make it happen and to keep it running. I know it requires a lot of you and I/we appreciate it.

Two questions...
1) I am not seeing what I think is a separate sub-group for coding. Am I missing it, or do I just post under the PIC I am using?
2) You suggest that we support MicroForum. Would you rather we post there, so that you can eventually retire this site? Or, do the two sites really have different missions? MicroForum seems to be for more brands other than just Microchip MCUs, but maybe I interpret that incorrectly?

Suggestion for Sub-Group:
I am a hobbyist, self-taught and still learning... Circuit Design, KiCad (for ordering PCBs,) Microchip MCUs, C code and serious soldering... A lot of major learning curves to attempt at once. And, that leaves a lot of holes in my skill sets.

What I would really prefer is to stick with circuit design through DIY manufacturing and to leave the coding to someone else. All said to say, I need a project partner... Someone who likes coding over manufacturing.

So, I suggest a sub-group that is solely aimed at connecting people with different skills that are interested in working on the same projects. Maybe the users must first fill out an interest, skills, resources and availability page, before being included. And, something about the person's commitment level... Yeah, life happens, but folks aught to see through what they commit to... Anyway, there's the idea... I think a partnership conduit is a glaring deficiency in the DIY/MCU community...

You have helped me, before, over at the OEM forum. Saved my bacon...<g> I really like your approach in helping folks. You are quiet kind.

That's it. I look forward to seeing you on the forum.
t1d
t1d

Re: Another New Guy

Postby ric » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:46 pm

t1d wrote:Hi, Ric,
1) I am not seeing what I think is a separate sub-group for coding. Am I missing it, or do I just post under the PIC I am using?

I modelled the forums here on the MCHIP site. I'm open to creating new ones if a few want it, but for now just pop it into the appropriate family area.

2) You suggest that we support MicroForum. Would you rather we post there, so that you can eventually retire this site? Or, do the two sites really have different missions? MicroForum seems to be for more brands other than just Microchip MCUs, but maybe I interpret that incorrectly?

I'm easy. Have a look at both, and follow your own preference.
I'm not chasing ad revenue, and couldn't give a stuff about "likes", so I'm not worried which one people use.
The Microforum guys are a couple of ex Microchip employees trying to make a contribution too, so wanted to give them a leg up.

Suggestion for Sub-Group:
I am a hobbyist, self-taught and still learning... Circuit Design, KiCad (for ordering PCBs,) Microchip MCUs, C code and serious soldering... A lot of major learning curves to attempt at once. And, that leaves a lot of holes in my skill sets.

What I would really prefer is to stick with circuit design through DIY manufacturing and to leave the coding to someone else. All said to say, I need a project partner... Someone who likes coding over manufacturing.

So, I suggest a sub-group that is solely aimed at connecting people with different skills that are interested in working on the same projects. Maybe the users must first fill out an interest, skills, resources and availability page, before being included. And, something about the person's commitment level... Yeah, life happens, but folks aught to see through what they commit to... Anyway, there's the idea... I think a partnership conduit is a glaring deficiency in the DIY/MCU community...

You have helped me, before, over at the OEM forum. Saved my bacon...<g> I really like your approach in helping folks. You are quiet kind.

That's it. I look forward to seeing you on the forum.
t1d

Let's see what others say. There's not a lot of traffic on this site, so it may take a while to get some feedback.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Another New Guy

Postby GettinBetter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 am

t1d wrote:....So, I suggest a sub-group that is solely aimed at connecting people with different skills that are interested in working on the same projects. Maybe the users must first fill out an interest, skills, resources and availability page, before being included. And, something about the person's commitment level... Yeah, life happens, but folks aught to see through what they commit to... Anyway, there's the idea... I think a partnership conduit is a glaring deficiency in the DIY/MCU community...
t1d

Agreed, Exactly what I was thinking. I too have been contemplating asking for such a category. I am a lifelong manufacturing engineer, with a degree in electronics also with gaps in my skill set. I am reluctant to post anywhere for fear of the spam onslaught. I also like the idea of a standard form, which could be downloaded from the site to be sent by the person that applies to your post. In fact the post itself could be defined as only acceptable composed in a form like manner ...although some general rules might need to be advised/applied regarding contact details not being accessed by forum bots and basic security/disclaimers/etc.

It would also bring new users to the site, and I get the feeling ric's not particularly interested in that aspect, but I believe the current users would like it, hence more input and varied responses.
History teaches us that history doesn't teach us.
GettinBetter

Return to Introductions and general chat