Hello and thank you

Say "hi" here, and any general non PIC related chat.

Hello and thank you

Postby JHEe » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Hi all,
Just wanted to say thank you for setting up a new forum to help with Microchip products (PICs in particular). I don't know if this is the right place, but do you also answer questions about peripheral devices that Microchip recently bought *cough* Atmel *cough*?

I have a KSZ8851SNLI (ethernet controller) question that I can't get resolved over in the Microchip world. I have a support ticket in that hasn't even been acknowledged in 3 months, no response from the support phone line, and all the threads I try to make in the forum are either getting squashed by a filter or never greenlit by a mod. Not really sure where to turn, but I see a lot of familiar names here. Anyone able to help with this device, or at least know of another forum I could try?

Thanks for your time.
-Jason
JHEe

PIC experience: Professional 2-5 years with MCHP products

Re: Hello and thank you

Postby DarioG » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:49 pm

Took a quick look at the device:
http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/D ... 02381A.pdf
I don't know it but... which issue are you facing?
All we are praying / is an earthquake in Chandler
DarioG
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby JHEe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:38 pm

Thanks for checking it out.

For starters, I am using the SPI interface for this device to connect to a CC3200 (Texas Instruments device comprising of a dedicated network processor and an ARM applications processor). The CC3200 is the SPI Master. I've written routines to set up the KSZ8851SNLI and to run it as needed for my application. All works well. I can read and write registers as I need. My application is working great. It's a pretty straightforward Ethernet to Wi-Fi bridge.

My problem comes when I try to put the KSZ device into Local Loopback mode for a power-on-self-test capability I'd like to add. I write to bit 14 of the P1MBCR like the datasheet tells me to do, but then I'm not sure what to do next. I haven't found any instructions as to how to actually run a loopback test. I've tried doing a simple SPI transfer and read the data coming back through the MISO line (results in all 0x00 being read). I am sending 0x00, 0x01,0x02... etc. repeating for 120 bytes as test data. When that didn't work, I tried writing to the transmit QMU and reading from the receive QMU (results in 0x55 being read). I read 120 bytes of 0x55 when I do the write transmit QMU / read receive QMU method, so I think that's close to what I am supposed to do, but I'm not sure why I get 0x55 all the time. I would expect to get the exact same data out that I put in if this is a true loopback.
I've verified that the device is in loopback mode by reading the P1MBCR register after I write to it, and I see the bit 14 is being set to a 1.

I can't find much that talks about the loopback support. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.
-Jason
JHEe

Postby JHEe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:20 pm

I figured it out. Turns out I didn't have my transmit packet set up correctly, then I was filtering it out on the receive side, then I didn't have my data aligned properly... Many issues.

I was finally able to devote some solid time to figuring it all out, and I got it working. Thanks again for checking into it.

I guess I'm available to help out on this forum if anyone has questions about this particular device. I feel like I've gotten pretty familiar with it.
JHEe

Return to Introductions and general chat