PIC32MZ DA - Capabilities

PIC32MZ DA - Capabilities

Postby SalvatoreCastellano » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi,
please allow me to briefly give you some important background info; I am a 40y old hobbyist trying to always learn new things.
About 10y ago, I built an arcade for my son, and now I want to add some "cool" features to this arcade.

I would like to experiment with a PIC32MZ DA MCU to steer an external TFT display (for the marquee btw)
The display is preferably a bar TFT display; the one I have in mind is the IL195HE05-R215 to be specific, which has 1920x540 resolution.
However, I have a few questions...
1. From the research I did I understood it should probably be possible to get it working. However, I'd like to be sure if I did not make a mistake or overlook something. What would be the right way to check all requirements/limits...?
2. The most important thing for me, is actually only showing just some images; no video; that should probably simplify my demand ... ?
3. I am trying to figure out if I would need a PIC32MZ DA with or without internal 32MB.... Which one would actually be "faster" ... ? On one hand, I assumed the internal DDR2 RAM would be faster, but I am not sure...? How do I need to calculate the right decision ?
4. Since the resolution is 1920 x 540; even in 24bit color depth, this would represent a frame buffer of 4,147,200bytes (1920x540x4) , right ? So; the 32MB should always be enough...? Why would I ever choose an external RAM...? What would be the possible benefits... ?

Please bear in my mind, I have little to no experience of working with TFT displays; this is just something I wish to learn. Yes, I know, I could be better and cheaper off with a Raspberry etc etc; I just want to experiment and learn.... :-)

Hope somebody can enlighten me on the subject...

Kind regards,
Salvatore
Last edited by SalvatoreCastellano on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SalvatoreCastellano

Re: PIC32MZ DA - Capabilities

Postby ric » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 am

Do you have a link for info about that display?
Googling "IR195HE05" or "IR195HE05-R215" gets no matches.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: PIC32MZ DA - Capabilities

Postby SalvatoreCastellano » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:25 pm

I just realized that I made a typo ! The TFT display I meant was IL195HE05-R215. Sorry about that.

Some basic info can be found here:
http://www.panelook.com/IL195HE05-R215- ... 47447.html

A datasheet is only available when about to purchase the TFT... :S
SalvatoreCastellano

Return to PIC32 topics