seeking opinions on PIC32MZ1024ECG144-I/PH

seeking opinions on PIC32MZ1024ECG144-I/PH

Postby cncmachineguy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:58 am

I know there is lots of things that seem to be not right with this family - most notably the ADC I think. But, I really want this for the speed and I/O. I need to use ADC, but for things like is the value >.75 volts. Using it for 5-48 volt input so no big accuracy needed.

I need to use the USB, but seems like that is functional to some degree.

Other things would be fun to play with, but not needed.

Does anybody have any actual experience with these, and do you think it will be fine to start development now using the currently available chips?

Thanks for your help and thoughts

-Bert
-Bert
cncmachineguy

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: seeking opinions on PIC32MZ1024ECG144-I/PH

Postby PhilB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:51 am

Bert,
We are currently designing with the PIC32MZ2048ECG100. There are problems, documented in the errata, but it is workable.
The USB seems to be OK - I have written a bootloader using a memory stick over USB. We are using Low Cost Controllerless Graphics, and that seems to work OK.
The speed and memory is the big attraction.
You have to use Harmony for the USB, and that is a pain. I try to avoid it wherever I can.
If you look around, there are examples to follow. Harmony has some under 'apps', and there are some in the XC32 folders.
There is a new 'error-free' version planned for next year, but I would go ahead now. I have spent too long waiting for this version and the PIC32MZ..A may not appear until this time next year if Microchip follow their usual path.
Hope this helps,
Phil
PhilB

PIC experience: Professional 2-5 years with MCHP products

Postby cncmachineguy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:39 pm

Thank you Phil, nice to hear good remarks about this new product. While I must say I am not really too excited to have to figure out Harmony (my C is not too good to start with), I will not let that stop me.

The Low cost Controllerless Graphice sounds interesting - what display?

More comments welcome.
-Bert
cncmachineguy

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby PhilB » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:49 pm

Bert,
We are using a 4.3 inch 272x480 display. For this we need to have an external SRAM as a page buffer. It is really neat how you can use the PMP and the EBI with DMA to drive an LCD. There is a good application note on it.
We have already used that display with a PIC24 with built-in graphics, but we found that the 256K flash limited the features that we could add.
I hope that we will be able to do much more with our 2M flash.
Regards,
Phil
PhilB

PIC experience: Professional 2-5 years with MCHP products

Return to PIC32 topics