PIC32MX470 Curiosity development board

PIC32MX470 Curiosity development board

Postby Jr.AAK » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:41 pm

Hello everyone , I am using PIC32MX 470 Curiosity board and i want to load bootloader program through on it using SPI , is it is possible or not.
if it is possible , should me tell something about how do i achieve it ? if you have some links then its helpful for me. I designed custom bootloader using UART communication protocol.
thanks....
Last edited by Jr.AAK on Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jr.AAK

Re: PIC32MX470 Curiosity development board

Postby AussieSusan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:41 am

I can't tell you how to do this but I think you might have a few concepts wrong about this board.
The MCU does NOT have a bootloader (no Microchip MCU does unless it is custom programmed by Microchip with the end user's code). What you are probably seeing is the on-board programmer/debugger which is accessed via USB. (Is that what you refer to as the UART communication protocol?)
Therefore you can program your own bootloader code (using the in-built programmer) that uses either of the MCUs SPI modules to communicate with whatever external device you want using whatever higher-level protocol you define.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Postby Jr.AAK » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:26 am

thanks Susan , But I want to design custom bootloader using the SPI for PIC32MX , so how can do that ? pls guide me..
thanks...
Jr.AAK

Postby KTrenholm » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:52 pm

These days I'd probably suggest using the harmony bootloader as a guide for PIC32. Maybe take the I2C one and see if it would be much trouble to modify for SPI interface. It also includes a host application written in Python that can be used as a basis to get started on a custom host (I ported it to C#, myself):
https://github.com/Microchip-MPLAB-Harmony/bootloader
KTrenholm

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby Jr.AAK » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:52 am

Thanks, means we are able to do a custom bootloader using SPI on PIC32MX470. where i got the example code of these for same board ? In provided link PICMZ series's code is available. But i need for PIC32MX470. or can i do it using same code that you have given in link for PIC32MX series. please guide me.
thanks....
Jr.AAK

Return to PIC32 topics