Beginner's guide to dsPIC33F

Beginner's guide to dsPIC33F

Postby Ricard.Sebastien » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been trying to learn how to use MPLAB with the MCU dsPIC33FJ256GP710A on MPLAB X and I have been encountering difficulties. I want to know how I should proceed on learning how to program my chip. I have looked at a good amount of tutorials as well as the datasheet for the microcontroller and the manual but I can't seem to find anything that is extensive or that uses the same code as my chip.

Basically, for the moment, I'm trying to understand how to use the ports, what to include, when I need header files, when I need to configure bits, etc. Stuff like that.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'm using the XC16 compiler.

Thank you

Sebastien
Ricard.Sebastien

Re: Beginner's guide to dsPIC33F

Postby AussieSusan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:44 am

Most of the answers to your questions do not rely on that specific chip. Any example that uses the PIC24FJ or dsPIC33FJ devices will show how to access the PORT, LAT and TRIS registers (which is how you use the ports).
I suggest that you look for tutorials on the web (Google shows up a large number of them - Gooligum is one source that is mentioned a lot but I have not used them myself). The key thing here is to find a tutorial that does something very simply - flashing a LED is a common example. The reason is that one of the biggest hurdles to getting started is to get the configuration settings right; then getting the oscillator set up correctly; all the while learning to read and understand the Microchip data sheets and Family Reference Manual (FRM) sections. By copying a simple tutorial example, you should be able to get something going and you can build up from there.
I assume you are using the XC16 compiler. If so, the only include file you need is "<xc.h>" at least to get started. Just remember to set the correct processor in the IDE.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Return to dsPIC33F