Helpful Utility for posting large files

Helpful Utility for posting large files

Postby Tight Yorky » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:22 pm

Hello all,
Attached is a simple utility I wrote to allow zip files to be cut into smaller sizes for posting on forums. I originally used this for sending files to somebody who had a 2Mb limit on their Email.
Hope somebody finds this useful.

When unzipped the EXE should be 105,472 bytes. If not don't use as somebody may have tampered with it.

Regards.
T Yorky
<EDIT>...
Problem with need for the Borland Run Time Libraries.
Attached is a 'slimmed down' version I have called TINYGLUE. This will only 'glue' together pre-cut up ZIP files. A cut up ZIP file has a set of files with the extension '.1AY'.
These '.1AY' files all need to be in a single folder. The utility retrieves the info from the first file and glues the ZIP back together based on this info.
The original folder must already exist. A simple warning message is created if not. The folder required is shown in this message so you can copy it to create it yourself.
Alternatively, the first file (_00.1AY) is an INI format so you can edit the ZIP destination folder directly.
The size of this unzipped utility is 496,640 bytes.

Within the next posts I will add the whole CUTITUP utility without the library issues. But this will need Gluing back together using TINYGLUE.
Attachments
TINYGLUE.zip
TINYGLUE utility.
(248.35 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Tight Yorky

PIC experience: Professional 2-5 years with MCHP products

Re: Helpful Utility for posting large files

Postby Tight Yorky » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:11 pm

Here is the CUTITUP utility (that has been cut up itself!!)
There are 3 .1AY files (with the file extensions changed to TXT). Use the TINYGLUE utility to stick this ZIP back together then unzip,
The resulting program (EXE) should be 611,328 bytes.
T Yorky
Attachments
CUTITUP_02.TXT
Change to 1AY
(86.3 KiB) Downloaded 399 times
CUTITUP_01.TXT
Change to 1AY
(195.31 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
CUTITUP_00.TXT
Change to 1AY
(94 Bytes) Downloaded 416 times
Tight Yorky

Postby Ian.M » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:50 pm

No need to reinvent the wheel. IZARC supports Zip file spanning and you can set it for chunks of 199K or whatever else you need. For that matter, even the old DOS PKZIP could do spanning.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby Tight Yorky » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:32 pm

Hi Ian.M,
All comments and feedback welcome.
I have WINZIP and it doesn't have the facility. Not a registered version so may be cut down features.
The utilities I have posted are simple and do not contain any 'Adware' or 'Phishing' software, unlike some software downloaded from sites like Github. They do not alter Windows registry or even need to be loaded into a specific directory. Any configuration data is stored in INI files (but may have a different extension name) to simplify maintenance and support.
I have posted the file sizes to ensure nobody adds any additional software to suit their own agenda.
Just to explain, I have been caught out by downloading from Github only to find the software trying to access my Email Address Book.
Good intentions.
T Yorky
Tight Yorky

Postby Ian.M » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 pm

No. Winzip would have to be registered.

Consider a multi-platform FOSS utility like 7zip or Info-ZIP
http://www.7-zip.org/
http://www.info-zip.org/

Well known and popular FOSS software hosted on the official project server is very unlikely to have third party spyware, and if the project maintainer(s) go over to the dark side there is usually such a s--tstorm on forums and USENET that googling the software's name with the keyword malware will almost always tell you which versions to avoid.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby Tight Yorky » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for the pointers Ian. Much appreciated. I will have a look at both.

Were you interested in the development utility I posted for the PIC? Would be interested in any feedback.
T Yorky
Tight Yorky

Return to PIC24