Attachment file types

Attachment file types

Postby ric » Mon May 26, 2014 9:29 pm

phpBB has a "white list" of file types it will allow to be attached.
I've already seen Tom post about PDF files. I will add them shortly.
Please list here any other extensions you think SHOULD be added.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Attachment file types

Postby Tom Maier » Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 am

The usual suspects:

.c
.asm
.txt

Also, those images I put on my posting... I assume other people are able to right click and "save image as..."? So they don't need to download those, right?

Are there any file types that are a securty hazard, like .exe? Will you be scanning attachments for virus?

Not that I care much, I'm on linux, but still can get some bad scripts through the browser.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby ric » Tue May 27, 2014 2:42 am

Tom Maier wrote:The usual suspects:

.c
.asm
.txt

Added. These were all already recognised as "plain_text", but disallowed by default for some reason.

Also, those images I put on my posting... I assume other people are able to right click and "save image as..."? So they don't need to download those, right?

Yes, right-click and save-as works.

Are there any file types that are a securty hazard, like .exe? Will you be scanning attachments for virus?

There's no virus scanning by default. The only scanning that takes place is checking image files to make sure they don't contain a fake "mime-type".
I'll leave, .exe, .doc, .xls etc disabled, as they could all contain viruses. Publish to PDF if you want to attach any of them. :)
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby BobAGI » Wed May 28, 2014 9:50 am

On Microchip you are not allowed to attach a PNG image file, which is totally ridiculous. Instead they request you to use JPG (in order to make the image 10 times bigger?) or GIF (in order to add a possible attack route?)...
I tested adding a PNG file and it works fine, that is good. :)
Concerning source files I always prefer to add them as part of a zipfile, because then it is so much simpler to extract the individual sources without problematic modifications of line endings and such. So ZIP should be an allowed extension as well.
--
Bo B
Sweden & Texas
BobAGI
Verified identity

Postby Tom Maier » Wed May 28, 2014 12:18 pm

BobAGI wrote:On Microchip you are not allowed to attach a PNG image file, which is totally ridiculous.

There's a reason for that...

The microchip forum is built with microsoft products, and microsoft has a policy of not supporting any formats that were created by the the open source movement. It's a stupid little war that is going on. Microsoft finally gave in to some extent and gave broken support for .png, so you can use it, but it has weird side effects on microsoft products (on purpose).

Does IE finally render png properly?

What's really blatent about the whole situation is that implimentation of png is so easy because the source code is open, but microsoft has been unable to successfully download it for more than a decade, or so they say.

They have also been suppressing the implimentation to SVG (scalable vector graphics). SVG is an open format for rendering 2D and 3D vectors. If you remember HPGL, then you know what that is about.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby ric » Wed May 28, 2014 2:38 pm

BobAGI wrote:...
Concerning source files I always prefer to add them as part of a zipfile, because then it is so much simpler to extract the individual sources without problematic modifications of line endings and such. So ZIP should be an allowed extension as well.

ZIP files are already allowed.
ric
Verified identity

Postby Ian.M » Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 pm

Lets get .inc, .h and .hex on the list of supported text files (if you haven't already).
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby ric » Wed May 28, 2014 9:57 pm

.h was
.hex and .inc weren't

The list of "plain text" extensions now allowed is:
c
cpp
csv
diz
h
hex
hpp
inc
ini
js
log
txt
xml
ric
Verified identity

Return to Suggestions