Subscription email content and delivery

Subscription email content and delivery

Postby BobAGI » Wed May 28, 2014 9:58 am

Ric,
I have now received a few alerts from subscribed threads and I would like to suggest the following (if it is possible with phpBB):

1) Please include the text of the post that has been made into the alert email!
It is so much easier, especially on a mobile device, to be able to decide if the content warrants a comment or not directly from the email.

2) There is a note in the message saying the following:
You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

Does this mean that I will no longer get any messages from the forum on my subscribed threads and forums?
If so please make that at least an option in the user control panel!!!
It is totally counter to what I mean by a subscription.
--
Bo B
Sweden & Texas
BobAGI
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Subscription email content and delivery

Postby ric » Wed May 28, 2014 2:37 pm

BobAGI wrote:Ric,
1) Please include the text of the post that has been made into the alert email!
It is so much easier, especially on a mobile device, to be able to decide if the content warrants a comment or not directly from the email.

I believe this is possible. The email comes from a template, so it depends if there is a template field for the body of the message.

2) There is a note in the message saying the following:
You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

Does this mean that I will no longer get any messages from the forum on my subscribed threads and forums?
If so please make that at least an option in the user control panel!!!
It is totally counter to what I mean by a subscription.

For subscriptions to a topic (as opposed to a forum), it normally only sends you one email about new posts being made, and expects you to visit the forum to read the whole message. It doesn't send any more notifications about that topic until you have visited the forum.
That fits in with the phpBB philosophy of providing an "online forum", not a mailing list.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby HallMark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:09 am

ric wrote:For subscriptions to a topic (as opposed to a forum), it normally only sends you one email about new posts being made, and expects you to visit the forum to read the whole message. It doesn't send any more notifications about that topic until you have visited the forum.
That fits in with the phpBB philosophy of providing an "online forum", not a mailing list.

I see similar thing in few other forum also so seems like that is normal for phpBB.
HallMark

Postby BobAGI » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 am

But the wording indicates that no alert will be sent for any other thread either...
So if one subscribes to several a failure to react on a non-interesting thread stops delivery for ALL threads.
Not good.
--
Bo B
Sweden & Texas
BobAGI
Verified identity

Postby HallMark » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:38 am

BobAGI wrote:But the wording indicates that no alert will be sent for any other thread either...
So if one subscribes to several a failure to react on a non-interesting thread stops delivery for ALL threads.
Not good.

Oh ! Yeah if this is the case it's not good.
HallMark

Postby BobAGI » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:59 am

Well I may be reading it differently than I should...
Here is the sentence:
"You can use the following link to view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent
until you visit the topic."

This might indicate that the messaging is confined to the specific topic only, in which case I am fine with it....
--
Bo B
Sweden & Texas
BobAGI
Verified identity

Return to Suggestions