Microchip request to remove signature link

Microchip request to remove signature link

Postby ric » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:23 am

I have just received a gentle request from Microchip (via username XGenerator) to remove the link to PICFORUM from my signature on their board.
I assume they will also contact everyone else who has the link.
I have complied, but also requested that they set up some communication between the board manager and the "old-hand" contributors there to sort out the problems.
He said there is a new forum administrator, who will be back from leave in two days.
There will also be new administrators for each forum there, who WILL be contactable by members.

Let's see how this works out...
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Microchip request to remove signature link

Postby jtemples » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 am

Should be interesting.

I still have the link in my signature, but my signature doesn't show up. I guess if they fix the forum as promised, it will show up?
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby HallMark » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:28 am

They are idiots. What is the problem they have if you run this forum and people use it to solve their problems? I personally feel better on this forum compare to official microchip one.
HallMark

Postby ric » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 am

I don't want to post the PM in full (as I do respect the "private" bit), but they did say:
"We have nothing against you having a separate forum, which you quite rightly post that it is not Microchip endorsed or monitored, however this does not really help us to help our customers since we do only monitor our own forum."
and all they requested was that I not "promote another forum" in my signature.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby Ian.M » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:24 am

Fair enough. The Microchip forum is a private forum subject to their terms of use so they can censor our sigs if they so desire.
However if they think censoring users who are some of the biggest supporters of their hardware products on their forum will improve their forum's reputation, they really are idiots.

I suggest that if anyone else receives such a demand we comply with it, respect its privacy but ignore any gag clause.
I for one will certainly be posting notice here if I am told to remove the link to Ric's forum from my Sig, or if it is deleted or modified (other than as a blanket ban on sig links) without my prior agreement.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Postby Tom Maier » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:19 pm

If microchip wants to help the problem that I have with their forum, then I need to get more shovels. I have no cable or dsl quality lines in my area, because it is remote and rustic. If microchip sends out some guys who can dig a 12 mile trench, I can probably tap into the system of the nearest town. I can provide the shovels.

Really, my problem is bandwidth, and that's more my issue than theirs. I don't mind taking a half hour to download a datasheet or app note, but spending 10 minutes to download a forum post isn't really worth the bother.

Hey.. the smiley thing-a-ma-bobs don't work anymore. Will have to revert to ancient technology =-}.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby DarioG » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Got the same request tonight.
Oh well... I asked for some "collaboration" on solving the forum issues. We'll see

Dario
All we are praying / is an earthquake in Chandler
DarioG
Verified identity

Postby jtemples » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:51 am

I assume the new administrators are on the job, but there are still hundreds of spam posts in tact from the last 24 hours.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby user2009 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:52 am

at least "love problem solution" is funnier than those "kitchen parts" they offered some time ago
user2009

PIC experience: Professional 2-5 years with MCHP products

Postby DavidBLit » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:40 pm

Next up: "kitchen love parts problem solution"...

How many administrators does it take to screen so few posts per day?

I think the administrators /are/ the spammers. That would explain why those idiots can't even filter "vashikaran".
DavidBLit

Next

Return to Suggestions