T3STY's PC Fan control project.

This conference allows discussion on any subject not already covered in another PICmicro conference. If a topic becomes popular enough, a new conference will be created for it.

T3STY's PC Fan control project.

Postby Ian.M » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:53 pm

If you are having problems posting in T3STY's USB Fan control and temperature monitoring topic over at MCHP:
http://www.microchip.com/forums/m806323.aspx
Please post here and one of us who can post there will link it.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Re: T3STY's PC Fan control project.

Postby T3STY » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:08 am

Hello and thanks Ian for porting the topic here!
I will continue posting in both discussions so to keep them updated in both places, but if Microchip's forum will keep me out of posting then I'll just leave it to you (or whoever can) to post a copy of my posts here in the other forum.
now, let me answer back right where we left.

The prices: I'm really happy to see USA and UK have such low prices there but here in Italy we don't. Prices here are usually 20% to 50% higher than in any other place. Fast comparison: iPhone 5 in USA costs 599$. In Italy it costs 699€ (950$ USD). Now you got the idea. So please be a little patient, I will eventually buy those PICs and all, but I just need to find a good offer :)
About learning circuit and PCB design, soldering... well, I just want you guys to have a look at this:
http://www.edaboard.com/thread292915.html
I had that project done for my graduation exam.
I agree having a 18F4550 breadboarded so I could prototype all of the things I need and then start working with the ones I intend to use in the final project.

Getting a little bit back to which and what. The EMC2305 comes in a QFN16 package. But for a hobbyist out there it might not be the right package because it's very tiny and hard to solder. Can you suggest alternatives with higher package sizes? I had a (fast) look at some ICs available on the web and there are even 14-pin DIP packages but only control 2 PWM channels...

@NorthGuy: It's not going to be used any way other than it should. Precisely controlling the fans is just a personal matter of squeezing every last bit out of those chocolate pin bars to achieve pixel-perfect results. It's obvious such higher precision control is not absolutely necessary, but if it can be reached without too much hassle, then why not? ;-)
T3STY

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Postby T3STY » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:08 pm

Microchip's forum seems to allow me again to post... I'll keep cross-posting however.

Replying to wa1vgb 's post (*LINK*)
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but one wire timing can be implemented in hardware using a uart.
http://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-n ... mvp/id/214

1 wire communication might be suitable for inter-device communication, but in this case there's no such issue. If needed I could even use a daisy chain UART solution, but the I2C interface uses only 2 pins and does the same work in a "more proper" manner. The only thing where I could actually need less wires is the buttons and LEDs connections which by themselves use 8 pins (4 buttons 4 LEDs). I am also searching for some way of multiplexing them (maybe into 2 items per pin) but other than that there's not much "less-wires" work to do. Thank you anyway for the link, I didn't knew this UART solution :)
T3STY

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Postby Ian.M » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 am

Hex keypad using single input pin
http://www.microchip.com/forums/FindPost/694632
You *really* don't want to get into multiplexing the LEDs as for anything except charliplexing, the parts count goes up rapidly, and charliplexing is software intensive + only saves you one pin.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Return to Other PICmicro topics