best development board

This conference allows discussion on any subject not already covered in another PICmicro conference. If a topic becomes popular enough, a new conference will be created for it.

best development board

Postby towerguy3141 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:50 pm

Good afternoon
I am fairly new to the PICs and have been trying to learn as much as I can - I have been using picbasic pro compiler with Mikroelectronica easy pic v7. I do not like the easy pic v 7 for several reasons, and was hoping someone could recommend a development board for me - I have been programming older 16F628A pics.
towerguy3141

Re: best development board

Postby AussieSusan » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:54 am

How 'stuck' are you on those older devices?
I like the 'Explorer 16/32' board because it can take a number of PIMs (plug in modules) that holds a variety of PIC24/dsPIC33 and PIC32 MCUs.
While these are all 'larger' (in a number of dimensions) that they family of devices you mention, the programming principles basically are same and there is nothing to stop you loading a small program into a MCU with more FLASH memory than you need.
One big advantage is that this also allows you to step up to more complex projects fairy easily.
Susan
AussieSusan
Verified identity

PIC experience: Experienced Hobbyist

Postby jtemples » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:33 am

I second Susan's recommendation.
jtemples
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby fos » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:33 pm

gooligum.com has a good development board for 8 bit pics from baseline through enhanced. It includes suitable pics and tutorials for MPASM and C.

It is flexible and robust.

Jeff

PS. If you intend to experiment with MPASM, MPLAB X v. 5.35 is the last version that supports assembly.
fos

Postby ric » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:56 am

You can't get the Gooligum boards any more, David stopped making them and sold the last at the end of 2019.
See: https://www.microchip.com/forums/m1121342.aspx
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby fos » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:57 pm

I guess you are right. :(

I had added one to the cart and it didn't show it as unavailable until I went to the purchase the board.

I guess it was a lost cause now that Microchip no longer supports MPASM.

Too bad.
fos

Return to Other PICmicro topics