Why the difference between Maxim and Microchip RTC price??

Why the difference between Maxim and Microchip RTC price??

Postby petirrojo40 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:50 pm

Hello everyone.

In this moment I am designing a new embedded system from an existing control, main goal is to reduce cost applying updated components. For RTC device I have always worked whit DS1307 from MAXIM, actual control uses DS1338, when I looked for alternatives, I found the MCP79411 RTC from Microchip and looking their prices I get a little suspicious.

* Maxim DS1338 price = US3.82 https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/maxim-integrated/DS1338Z-33-/1017698

* Microchip MCP79411 price = US0.98 https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/microchip-technology/mcp79411-i-sn/2601461

Working with electronic device I know the price and quality go hand in hand, but in this case the difference is remarkable and I do not know why; both RTC shows similar specifications (interface, supply level, range operating temperature) with MCP79411 even better options (two alarm, supply failure timestamp, 1 kbit EEPROM, less current timekeeping).

Is there any detailed or main characteristic that makes the price of MAXIM RTC almost 3 dollars more expensive than Microchip RTC? :ugeek:
petirrojo40

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Re: Why the difference between Maxim and Microchip RTC price

Postby Roche » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:16 am

Maxim have always been good at marketing - lots of application notes, good data (with some exceptions) and so on. That drives demand. Some of the special functions their devices can provide are unique. However, when it comes to supply, I have always found them to be slow, sometimes with quota supply. That drives the price up. Even things like RS232 drivers - ST used to be about $1 to Maxims $3. The short answer is Maxim should be the supplier of last resort. Only use them if the function cannot be achieved any other way. Even that isn't great because then they really have you over a barrel as a sole supplier. One can often find the same functionality from other suppliers - it just takes a bit of searching.
For an RTC I did use an NXP part recently...
Roche

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: Why the difference between Maxim and Microchip RTC price

Postby petirrojo40 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:33 pm

Thank you Mister Roche. You bring a little calm to me because I was confused about quality issue about RTC marked branches.
petirrojo40

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Return to Oscillator