Reg. PIC18f14K50 readout with pickit3

(instructions, reset, WDT, specifications...) PIC17Cxx, PIC18Fxxx

Reg. PIC18f14K50 readout with pickit3

Postby TopDuck71 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:58 am

Hi there

As for a weekend projekt i thought i easy could read out a PIC18F14K50 with PICKIT3.

-The Pic came from a BusyLight.

But when i read it with PICKIT3 Programmer these seeting are shown to me (see the configX attachment)

User ID FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Configuration: 3200 1E23 0000 0081 C003 E003 4003

I can read from 0000 to 1068
from 1068 to 26A8 i got FF
I can read from 26A8 to 3FFe

Eeprom data is only FF.

Is this Pic write protectet at anypoint?

/TopDuck

XonfigX.PNG
Config
XonfigX.PNG (115.74 KiB) Viewed 6655 times

Picit3.PNG
Picit3 screen
Picit3.PNG (233.4 KiB) Viewed 6655 times
TopDuck71

Re: Reg. PIC18f14K50 readout with pickit3

Postby TopDuck71 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 am

Hi Again

I did try to do a match with

https://gputils.sourceforge.io/html-hel ... -conf.html

With less understanding og those bits i got nowhere....

/TopDuck
TopDuck71

Postby ric » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 am

All the protection bits are in CONFIG5, CONFIG6 and CONFIG7.
Those bits are all one, so there is no protection at all enabled in your PIC.

It looks to me like your PIC contains a program written in XC8, and the data EEPROM is not not used.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby TopDuck71 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 am

Hi ric

Thanks for the fast answer.

If the code is 8 bit and its on a 16 bit PIC do no add up at all....

My Goal with this read out where more in directions of what this Busylight need to program/update it self with, when it is connectet normal to USB port.

Because i could not get it into programming mode correct, every time i did it, it just vanish in the hardware in Windows 10, but Windows did notice that an device where connectet.

/TopDuck71
TopDuck71

Postby jtemples » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:58 pm

If the code is 8 bit and its on a 16 bit PIC do no add up at all....

PIC18s are 8 bit.
jtemples
Verified identity

Postby ric » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:45 pm

TopDuck71 wrote:If the code is 8 bit and its on a 16 bit PIC do no add up at all....

It's not clear what you are trying to say here.
As jtemples stated, in Microchip terminology, all the PIC18F chips are 8 bit devices.
That is, they have 8 bit RAM and registers. The instructions are 16 bit. That is where "16-bit core" comes from.
This is possible because PICs do not execute instructions out of RAM, so instructions and data don't have to be the same width, as in other processors.

My Goal with this read out where more in directions of what this Busylight need to program/update it self with, when it is connectet normal to USB port.

Are you referring to a product called a "Busylight". You're assuming everyone knows what that is.
IS it something like this? http://www.plenom.com/products/kuando-b ... bber-more/
I have no idea what you are trying to do. Is it something the manufacturer supports?

Because i could not get it into programming mode correct, every time i did it, it just vanish in the hardware in Windows 10, but Windows did notice that an device where connectet.

That really does not translate well into English.
Step back a bit and explain exactly what you want to do and why.
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby ric » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:25 am

TopDuck71 wrote:Hi ric

I'm going to take some guesses here.
Assuming this "Busylight" is the sort of device I linked to in my previous post, you have it connected to your PC via USB, and it appears as an HID device.
You then connect a PK3 to a PIC18F14K50 which is inside this "Busylight", and fire up the Microchip programming software.
The Busylight then disappears from the Windows Device Manager.

If that is the case, it's pretty much what I would expect to happen, as the programmer will reset the PIC when it connects, and the PIC has to be running to appear as a device to Windows.

So, please explain exactly what you expect to happen, and what you are trying to do.
ric
Verified identity

Postby ric » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:25 am

TopDuck71 wrote:Hi ric

I'm going to take some guesses here.
Assuming this "Busylight" is the sort of device I linked to in my previous post, you have it connected to your PC via USB, and it appears as an HID device.
You then connect a PK3 to a PIC18F14K50 which is inside this "Busylight", and fire up the Microchip programming software.
The Busylight then disappears from the Windows Device Manager.

If that is the case, it's pretty much what I would expect to happen, as the programmer will reset the PIC when it connects, and the PIC has to be running to appear as a device to Windows.

So, please explain exactly what you expect to happen, and what you are trying to do.
ric
Verified identity

Postby TopDuck71 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Hi All

Again thanks for time using on this.

I think there is 3 project for me in this.

1) i did try to find out if the Pic was enabled to be programmed from the USB as the Busylight https://www.busylight.com/ Kuando, so i could use the PCB existing design.

2) i want this to be a learning curve as an alternative to Arduino and the 18F got everything ind the house.

3) i now got both a PICIT 3, some normal size 18f14k50 and a RGB LED and trying to either recreate a Busylight Kuando with some mods or perhaps copy the hole pic to my new normal size 18f14k50 instead of playing with the SSOP i got free from the PCB with a AIRheat oven and a bootloader that allow me to update it from the USB. THE PCB is easy to read out, so the pin out from the pic is readable :-)

So all in all, fun fun fun and perhaps in some cases a better alternative than the Arduino.

// I know there is <C> and all this, there for iam caution about what iam upload as attachment and its only for person fun/use

/TopDuck
TopDuck71

Return to 16-Bit Core