HOWTO: Search for compatible PICs and older tools

This conference is open to any discussion that does not fit into the the defined categories. If a topic becomes popular enough, a new conference will be started for it.

HOWTO: Search for compatible PICs and older tools

Postby Ian.M » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 am

What programs (& debugs) what?

To answer this question I have compiled the MPLAB 8.92 (final), and PICkit 1, 2 & 3 standalone application device support lists in Excel spreadsheet format (zipped .xls). I have also added part families, web links to product pages and required and optional debug headers.

The data has been carefully extracted from various official sources but if you find any errors or omissions, do notify me.
If anyone can contribute accurate device support lists for the Microsticks and other MPLAB supported programmers not listed in the official device support list (excluding bootloaders), I would be glad to add them.

*********************************************************************************************************************
To see more details of the chips your programmer/debugger supports, a handy Excel trick is to download a whole Microchip product range as a spreadsheet:
e.g. go here: http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/Chart.aspx?branchID=1012 for all 8 bit PICs, click the show all radiobutton then the download link. You will get a CSV file with all the data the parametric search can show you.
Resave it as an XLS file in the same folder as my device support list then link it to the device support list.

If you have kept the same name, that's as simple as making a new column in the spreadsheet from the parametric chart page, and labelling the first cell of the column 'PK2D' or whatever programmer you are interested in then in the second cell put the formula:
Code: Select all
=VLOOKUP(TRIM(A2),'[MPLAB 8.92 & PICkit App Device Support.xls]Device Support List'!$A$4:$AB$1244,17)

The $AB$1244 is the bottom right cell of the support list, and if the list is updated that may need to be changed.
The 17 is because the PK2D data is in the 17th column across (column Q) - change it to whichever column you need
The TRIM(A2) is to pick up the part number from the current line of the parametric chart.

Select from that cell to the bottom of the table and fill down to put the formula in every cell in the column except the label.
You should get a column of cells showing 'G', 'Y' or 'R' according to that PIC's support status.

You can now turn on Autofilter and filter on that column to restrict your parametric search to chips you can actually program/debug.

*************************************************************************************************
Bugs and corrections:
17/7/14 Added a job lot of PIC18 devices that I had missed when transcribing the PICkit 2/3 standalone app device list from the web.

21/9/14 Added more missing standalone app devices, working from dumps of the official v1.62.14 device file, and the AU Group v1.63.146 device file. Unofficial device support is marked as 'Y' (beta).
Added new family 'Enhanced Baseline' for 12 bit core with interrupts: PIC16F527, PIC16F570, PIC16HV540. If I've missed any, please let me know!
*************************************************************************************************

Old version downloaded 36 times
Attachments
MPLAB 8.92 & PICkit App Device Support.zip
Covers MPLAB 8.92 and device files 1.62.14 and 1.63.148
(195.54 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Re: HOWTO: Search for compatible PICs and older tools

Postby Ian.M » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:39 am

Bump: Updated with extra devices from AU Group PICkit 2 Device file v1.63.146 marked as Beta.
Ian.M
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Return to Other Development Tool Topics