MPLAB X in a team setting

Re: MPLAB X in a team setting

Postby drh » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:56 pm

If you folks are going to fight, at least do it over something important. Assembly is better than C. No, C is better than assembly. :o
drh
Verified identity

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Postby Tom Maier » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:14 pm

JoshuaHartwig wrote:I have no quarrel with your potentially superior [firepower] OS, only with the hallowed command line.

I was really opposed to gui interfaces when I first saw them. I considered it a lot of glitz and glamour lacking in functionality. It wasn't until I found that I could pull up four command line windows simultaneously that I finally started to use it.

The problem with giu interfaces is that it is like a hide-and-go-seek game to find the functions in the menus. And then the location of the functions change location each new version of gui. And then you can't script the functions and pipe them around like you can in comand line. GUI is pretty frustrating and limited.

When I was teaching a "Windows Certification" teacher came over to my cubilce and saw me getting ready for the new semester. I was using a terminal window in linux and he laughed at how "backward" it was. I ran three scripts and I was done with getting my students all set for the new semester. His jaw dropped, because he had to do the same thing in his windows systems and he was hoping to get it done all in the same day. I was done in three minutes. A lot of sys-admin can't be done by scripts in windows, but it is standard procedure in old unix and linux.

I also considered the mouse to be "a ridiculous passing fad". =-} My predictions of the future have not been very accurate.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby Tom Maier » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:17 pm

drh wrote:If you folks are going to fight, at least do it over something important. Assembly is better than C. No, C is better than assembly. :o

Ada puts them all to shame. =-}
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby ric » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:28 pm

Tom Maier wrote:I also considered the mouse to be "a ridiculous passing fad". =-} My predictions of the future have not been very accurate.

and them darn "portable phones" are never going to catch on.
Who wants to carry around a battery and a brick with a "rubber ducky" antenna sticking out of it, just so you can ring your wife to say you'll be home in 5 minutes? ;)
Latest test project, an LED matrix display made from one reel of addressable LEDs. here
ric
Verified identity

Postby Tom Maier » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 pm

I've seen people with those mobile telephonic devices. Curious...

And I've heard rumours of colourized television CRTs.
Tom Maier
Verified identity

Postby JoshuaHartwig » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Tom Maier wrote:The problem with giu interfaces is that it is like a hide-and-go-seek game to find the functions in the menus. And then the location of the functions change location each new version of gui. And then you can't script the functions and pipe them around like you can in comand line. GUI is pretty frustrating and limited.

When I was teaching a "Windows Certification" teacher came over to my cubilce and saw me getting ready for the new semester. I was using a terminal window in linux and he laughed at how "backward" it was. I ran three scripts and I was done with getting my students all set for the new semester. His jaw dropped, because he had to do the same thing in his windows systems and he was hoping to get it done all in the same day. I was done in three minutes. A lot of sys-admin can't be done by scripts in windows, but it is standard procedure in old unix and linux.

Indeed, the scripting power of the command line is great. The annoyance comes up when I don't care to script my actions. For example, when I install PC-Lint, I don't expect to have to run through a 100 page document to find out how to generate a readable analysis of my code. Makes it easier to link into an IDE with a plugin, but I expect to be able to run that externally in a more natural manner. How am I supposed to write a report on the status of our MISRA compliance if the output (often substantial and harmless due to our use of a LIN driver) is simply spewed into the output window of MPLab? Ended up getting an exact configuration to get a near-complete xml output, fixing the xml file, then writing a tool for sorting through the issues to point out which ones posed actual risk.

Writing a program for automation is great, but there should be an easier way for those one-off situations.
JoshuaHartwig

PIC experience: Professional 1+ years with MCHP products

Previous

Return to MPLAB X IDE