MPLAB X 5.30 can't see PICkit4 any more

MPLAB X 5.30 can't see PICkit4 any more

Postby joe_ivp » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:10 pm

During a programming session last week (MPLAB X 5.30 and a simple unpowered 10F206 circuit, just a pull-up
on /mclr and a LED+R) the PICkit4 became unresponsive. This was directly after downloading 5 MPLAB updates
which a pop-up said were available. After that moment, MPLAB would not communicate with the PICkit4 in any
way. I tried the two recovery methods in the manual but the end result was a still-unresponsive programmer
with a steady purple light. Before the issue, the PICkit4 would appear in the Hardware Tools, along with its
serial number. Now it doesn't. It was described as being on COM4 during Emergency Firmware Boot Recovery.
I've used the MC-supplied USB cable throughout.

I raised this issue with CiSAR last week and have been sent a no-questions-asked replacement PICkit4. They
also did not answer my questions BTW. This too is not recognised by MPLAB X 5.30 and is not available as a
tool. It powers up purple to blue, as did the original. I'm reluctant to try any (possibly unnecessary)
recovery on the replacement. I don't recall needing to do this on the original when first connected, it just
worked. My belief is that this isn't an issue with the PICkit4's themselves, rather something MPLAB X 5.30
has done to its environment, via those updates, that stops it from seeing them. Will be staying away from
updates from now on.

Both programmers appear in this PC's (Win10) Device Manager as "Microchip WinUSB Device". I have no issues at
all with any other USB devices, and had used the original PICkit4 many many times with a variety of PICs in the
past few months without a problem. Trying both PICkit4s on another PC (Win10) shows them as "Microchip PICkit4"
(not "Microchip WinUSB Device") in that PC's Device Manager. On an XP PC, "Found new hardware, Microchip
PICkit4" and "MPLAB(r) PICkit4" in Device Manager. I've uninstalled/re-installed MPLAB X 5.30 on this PC but
neither of the PICkit4's are visible to it. I still use mpasm a lot and want to keep using 5.30. I've also
removed/added the PICkit4 within Device Manager but MPLAB still can't see it.

The latest thing I've tried is a later version of MPLAB X, 5.50, just to see what happens. Interestingly,
5.50 can see both of the PICkit4's

Project Properties/conf:[default] Connected Hardware Tool PICkit 4-SN:BUR2036126xx (original) or BUR2022723xx
(replacement) and BUR2022723xx appears as a Debug Tool in Dashboard

A hex file created in 5.30 can be imported into 5.50 and downloaded to the 10F206 with the replacement. So a
workaround is to Make on 5.30 and Program using 5.50. That's going to get old pretty quick and obviously I want
to go back to one-click Make/Program using just 5.30

I re-installed 5.30 without deleting 5.50. Unfortunately whatever is working re:PICkit4 in 5.50 doesn't get picked
up by 5.30

Project Properties/conf:[default] No configuration panel at all

As for the original PICkit4 (BUR2036126xx), it does seem to be bricked. Neither 5.30 or 5.50 will talk to it

Just what did those MPLAB X 5.30 updates do to my PC and how do I undo it ?

TIA, Joe
joe_ivp

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Re: MPLAB X 5.30 can't see PICkit4 any more

Postby joe_ivp » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:07 pm

I've managed to restore the MPLAB X 5.30 I had last week

Here's what I did, with suggestions from Microchip Support (thank you Joemel) -

Looked at the PICkit4 driver in Device Manager. The PICkit4 is listed as a Microchip Tools
"Microchip WinUSB Device", with a 1.0.2.0 Microchip driver
Uninstalled both 5.30 and 5.50, including "Delete ALL persistence folders (Not Recommended)"
Uninstall the PICkit4 in Device Manager
Plug PICkit4 in
Uninstall it again
Plug PICkit4 in
Uninstall it again
Reboot PC
Driver changes to Microchip 1.0.1.0
Install MPLAB X 5.30
Driver changes to Microsoft 10.0.19041.1, dated 21/06/2006
PICkit4 now appears in Universal Serial Bus devices as "MPLAB PICkit 4"

Have test programmed a variety of PICs from 10F to 24F without any issues. The first one,
an 18F14K22, programmed successfully after MPLAB updated the PICkit4 firmware. After
that, Make And Programme simply downloaded to whatever project PIC I chose

Will be very cautious about clicking on any more MPLAB update prompts.

Hope this helps someone
joe_ivp

PIC experience: Professional 5+ years with MCHP products

Return to MPLAB X IDE